Join our growing Dryad institutional member community by contacting email@example.com!
Be part of a non-profit, shared community working together to promote data publishing, curation, and preservation. Our community is open to a full spectrum of stakeholder organizations such as journals, learned societies, publishers, research institutions, and academic libraries. Since each stakeholder community comes to Dryad for different approaches, we have created distinct membership opportunities to best support these efforts.
All members of the Dryad community benefit by sustaining shared infrastructure that:
- Is community owned
Dryad is a non-profit, community-led organization. We are beholden to stakeholders, not shareholders. Our values and priorities are aligned with supporting research data preservation and advancing the culture of open science.
- Focuses on data
Dryad works with data that both underlies scholarly literature and stands on its own. All data is Dryad remains openly available and from a broad range of fields and formats. Dryad is subject-agnostic.
- Provides curation
Dryad’s dedicated staff of professional curators provides high visibility and discoverability by ensuring the validity of the data and applying robust metadata.
- Archives data in perpetuity
Your researchers’ data publications will be safely stored and backed up in a CoreTrustSeal-certified repository.
- Remains committed to continually improving
Upgrades and enhanced system functions will be ongoing as a way to continually improve workflows for researchers and related stakeholders.
All members of the Dryad community will influence the future by:
- Contributing your views and priorities at Dryad-hosted events throughout the year.
- Exercising your vote to elect Dryad’s Board of Directors and influence the bylaws.
- Collaborating on solutions with other members facing similar challenges.
Let's band together and sustain community-owned research data infrastructure!
Thank you to our growing list of institutional members who support their researchers publishing in Dryad
- California State University, East Bay
- Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
- Claremont Graduate University
- Claremont McKenna College
- Columbia University
- Harvey Mudd College
- Indian Institute of Technology Dhanbad
- Keck Graduate Institute
- King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- Kyoto University
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab
- Macquarie University
- Montana State University
- Netherlands Institute of Ecology (NIOO-KNAW)
- North Carolina State University
- Northern State University
- The Ohio State University
- Pitzer College
- Pomona College
- Scripps College
- Stanford University
- Texas Tech University
- University of California, California Digital Library
- UC Berkeley
- UC Davis
- UC Irvine
- UC Merced
- UC Riverside
- UC San Francisco
- UC San Diego
- UC Santa Barbara
- UC Santa Cruz
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champagne
- University of Minnesota
- University of New Mexico
- University of New South Wales, Sydney
- The University of Rhode Island
- Victoria University, Melbourne
- Yale University
Any research institution that supports the educational, scientific, and charitable mission of Dryad is eligible to become a member.
Institutional Membership benefits include:
- No data publishing charges
All fees, including large file costs, will be waived for research data submissions made by researchers affiliated with your institution.
- Transparent reporting
Administrators will have access to a dashboard of all data submission activity from your institution including curation and publishing activity for each dataset.
- Branded instance
Users logging onto Dryad from member institutions will access a custom-branded interface.
- Enhanced curation opportunities
Dryad’s highly skilled staff curates each dataset to increase discoverability and extend the impact of researcher’s work. Institutional members will have the opportunity to discuss workflows with Dryad where staff at member institutions might apply supplemental curation steps in addition to the standard Dryad procedures.
- Bespoke services
Dryad is open to working with institutions on an individual basis to develop custom services and alternative partnership opportunities.
Annual Institutional Membership Fees
- Level III: $13,000
- Level II: $ 7,500
- Level I: $ 3,000
Dryad membership brings significant value to institutions. As such, we recognize that any metric for assessing fees might not seem equitable to every institution. Therefore, we are asking institutions to self-determine your level of commitment. Below are some parameters you may use, but you make the decision about which level corresponds most closely to your institution’s resources.
Suggested Examples for Determining Size
- Level III: RI or FTE +10K or +$300M in research grant funding.
- Level II: R2 or FTE 5K - 10K or $50M - $300M in research grant funding.
- Level I: R3 or FTE under 5K or less than $50M in research grant funding.
If your institution is unable to meet the membership fees, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss alternative pricing. If your organization is in a position to support Dryad at a higher level than our posted fees, we would be happy to further discuss.
For more information on Institutional Membership, please contact email@example.com.
We are proud of our publisher membership community that supports data availability and Dryad
- American Academy for the Advancement of Science
- American Genetic Association
- American Society of Naturalists
- Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation
- Botanical Society of America
- British Ecological Society
- Cambridge University Press
- European Society for Evolutionary Biology
- German National Library of Medicine
- Nordic Society Oikos
- Oxford University Press
- Society for the Study of Evolution
- Society of Systematic Biologists
- The Genetics Society
- The Royal Society
- US Fish and Wildlife Service
Individual journals, publishers, and scholarly societies can be part of the Dryad community through a stand-alone publisher membership, as a sponsor of data publishing fees, through submission integration, or a combination of these. Publisher support for Dryad is essential in allowing us to provide open data infrastructure and simple workflows for your authors.
Publisher Membership benefits include:
- Transparent reporting and easier monitoring
Members will have access to a dashboard of all data submissions from your authors including curation and publication statuses of all relevant submissions.
- Expertly curated data - at a savings to your organization
To increase discoverability and extend the impact of an author’s work, each dataset is thoroughly curated by Dryad’s highly skilled staff. This essential step involves applying enhanced metadata and performing data quality checks, thus removing the costs of these checks from your organization.
- Saving money when supporting your data policies
Dryad encourages publishers to support their data policies by sponsoring the Data Publishing Fees (DPCs). Members will receive discounts on the sponsorship opportunities.
- Bespoke services
Dryad is open to working directly with organizations on an individual basis to develop custom services and alternative partnership opportunities.
Publisher Membership Plan (Annual)
- Sustainer at $5,000: Organizations with an annual gross income of $10 million USD+. All journals published by the member are eligible for discounted payment plans.
- Supporter at $1,000: Smaller publishers, scholarly societies, and other organizations with an annual gross income of less than $10 million USD. All journals published by the member are eligible for discounted payment plans.
- Advocate at $500: Publishers or other organizations of any income level that wish to support Dryad and vote in elections. Does not include discounted payment plans.
I. Subscription Plan
Based on unlimited number of submissions (estimated on previous years’ submissions)
Members: $40 per published research article
Non-Members: $50 per published research article
A journal (or journals) with an active subscription may make an unlimited number of submissions for a fixed, up-front cost. Publishers or groups that publish more than one journal can set up a subscription to cover all or any number of journals. The cost is calculated based on the total number of research articles published by the journal(s) in the prior year.
II. Usage-Based Plan
Based on actual number of published research datasets
Members: $105 per dataset
Non-Members: $115 per dataset
Organizations will be invoiced quarterly on a deferred basis for the number of datasets published by your authors.
For more information on Publisher Membership and Sponsorship, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission integration is a free service that allows journal publishers to coordinate the submission of manuscripts with submission of data to Dryad.
The integration process works with many different online manuscript processing systems. It is lightweight and customizable to each journal's needs.
Contact us to integrate your journal now.
Benefits of integration:
- Simplify the process of data submission for authors.
- Allow authors to deposit, to a single repository, gigabytes of data files in their original formats.
- Help ensure compliance with journal data policy.
- Have the option of making data available for editorial or peer review, via secure access for editors and reviewers.
- Ensure bidirectional links between the article and the data, and increased visibility for both.
- Ensure that the data is freely accessible once the article becomes available online.
- Give authors the option to embargo public access to data for a limited time after publication, if permitted by the journal's data policy.
See a list of currently integrated journals.
We welcome submission integration for any organization that publishes a scientific journal, regardless of their membership status in the Dryad organization. Please contact email@example.com for more information.