Skip to main content
Dryad logo

Current knowledge regarding Trypanosoma cruzi and Chagas disease in Mexico: a systematic review

Citation

Bravo-Ramirez, Ivan E.; Pech-May, Angelica; May-Concha, Irving J.; Ramsey, Janine M. (2022), Current knowledge regarding Trypanosoma cruzi and Chagas disease in Mexico: a systematic review, Dryad, Dataset, https://doi.org/10.5061/dryad.69p8cz94c

Abstract

The aim of this review was to systematize, evaluate and synthesize original research specific to Mexico on Trypanosoma cruzi, the zoonosis, vectors (Triatominae: Hemiptera: Reduviidae), Chagas disease (CD) using PRISMA methodology. The evidence was identified through four search engines, selected using inclusion criteria, assigned to 13 topics, and evaluated using technical criteria. Of 1,410 records identified, 659 (46.7%) were chosen for technical evaluation, of which 221 (15.7%) were rated as the highest quality. PubMed contributed 95% of the records, while BibTri, Lilacs and Scielo contributed the remaining 5%. Publication rate was constant between 1950 and 1990, although there was an exponential increase from 1995 to 2020. Publication quality also increased from 5.3% of registries in 1990 to 49.8% in 2020. Systemic, economic, anthropological and social aspects of CD in Mexico were the topics least represented (8%). Despite the remarkable increase in knowledge generated in the last two decades in Mexico, this systematic review highlights the failure to incorporate academic expertise as well as civil society and existing evidence into care, prevention, and control of CD for public health policy in the country.

Methods

Dataset was collected from PubMed, Lilacs, Scielo, and BibTri, using PRISMA methodology, all historical until December 31, 2021. 

All publications are categorized by language, topic categories (14) and subtopics (1-3subtopics/topic, details in Topic category sheet), eligibility based on inclusion/exclusion criteria (Supp Table/Cuadro S2) and technical inclusion based on criteria (Supp Table/Cuadro S3 and S4), as detailed in the publication: Ivan E. Bravo-Ramirez, Angélica Pech-May, Irving Jesus May-Concha, Janine M. Ramsey. 2022. Conocimientos actuales sobre Trypanosoma cruzi y la enfermedad de Chagas en México: una revisión sistemática” (Current knowledge regarding Trypanosoma cruzi and Chagas disease in Mexico: a systematic review). Salud Publica de México.

Usage Notes

Excel

Funding

Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología, Award: 261006

Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología, Award: 2019142101