Skip to main content
Dryad logo

Data from: SSR-marker analysis of the intracultivar phenotypic variation discovered within 3 soybean cultivars

Citation

Yates, Jennifer L.; Boerma, H. Roger; Fasoula, Vasilia A. (2012), Data from: SSR-marker analysis of the intracultivar phenotypic variation discovered within 3 soybean cultivars, Dryad, Dataset, https://doi.org/10.5061/dryad.7dn526gq

Abstract

Genetic variation within homogeneous gene pools in various crops is assumed to be very limited. One objective of this study was to use 144 simple sequence repeat (SSR) markers to determine if the single-plant lines selected at ultra-low plant density in honeycomb designs within the soybean cultivars Benning, Haskell, and Cook had unique SSR genetic fingerprints. Another objective was to investigate if the variation found was the result of residual genetic heterozygosity that could be detected in the original gene pool where selection initiated. Our results showed that the phenotypic variation for seed protein content and seed weight has a genotypic component identified by the SSR band variation. The seven lines from Haskell had a total of 63 variant alleles, the five lines from Benning had 34 variant alleles, and the seven lines from Cook had 34 variant alleles, therefore, possessing unique genetic fingerprints. Most of the intra-cultivar SSR band variation discovered was the result of residual heterozygosity in the initial plant selected to become the cultivar. More specifically, 82% of the SSR variant alleles were traced in the Benning Foundation seed source, 93% in the Haskell seed source, and 82% in the Cook seed source. The remaining variant bands (18% for Benning, 7% for Haskell, and 18% for Cook) could not be detected in the Foundation seed source and were likely the result of mutation or some other mechanism generating de novo variation. These results provide evidence that genetic variation among individual plants is present even in homogeneous gene pools and can be further utilized in breeding programs.

Usage Notes